Vitamins are complex organic compounds and are important for vital functioning of an organism. Since, a very small amount of vitamin can be synthesized by human body on its own; therefore, their intake must be incorporate in one’s diet for proper functioning of the body. There are 13 vitamins that are recognized at present.
Vitamins are classified on the basis of their solubility into two categories:
- Water – soluble vitamins
- Fat – soluble vitamins
1. These type of vitamins do not get stored in the body for long –
2. They are readily expelled from the body through urine.
3. Vitamins C and B are water-soluble.
1. They are stored in the fat tissues of our bodies, as well as the liver.
2. Fat-soluble vitamins are readily stored in the body than water-soluble ones,
3. They can be stored in the body for days.
4. They are absorbed through the intestinal tract with the help of lipids.
5. Vitamins A, D, E and K are fat-soluble.
List of Vitamins, sources and diseases due to their deficiency:
|Vitamin A (Retinol)||Cod-liver oil, liver, kidney, milk products, butter, yolk, as precursor to Vitamin A in carrots|
|Vitamin B1 (Thiamine)||Cereals, Radish peas, oatmeal, liver, yeast, meat, brown rice|
|Vitamin B2(Riboflavin)||Milk products, Meat, Cereals, cheese, eggs, liver, sea-fish, green leafy vegetables, whey powder|
|Vitamin B3 (Niacin, Nicotine acid)||peanuts, peas, liver, poultry, fish, lean meat|
|Vitamin B5 (Pantothen acid)||Vegetables, wheat germs, Asparagus, Crabs, Meat|
|Vitamin B6(Pyridoxin)||Bananas, nuts, yeast, liver, potatoes, green beans, cauliflower, carrots|
|Vitamin B7 (Biotin, Vitamin H)||Cauliflower, eggs, avocado, spinach, milk|
|Vitamin B9 (Folic acid, Vitamin M)||wheat germs, cucurbits, spinach, avocado|
|Vitamin B12 (Cobalamin)||Milk, yolk, fish, meat, oysters|
|Vitamin C (Ascorbic acid)||Citric fruits, black currants, potatoes, tomatoes, spinach, vegetables, radish|
|Vitamin D (Calciferol)||Cod-liver oil, liver, milk, yolk, butter, sea fish, sun rays|
|Vitamin E (Tocopherol)||Carrot , germinated cereals, green vegetables, milk, honey, groundnut|
|Vitamin K (Phylloquinone)||Eggs, green vegetable, oatmeal, kiwi, tomatoes,|